Be Prepared for Disasters!
When a disaster strikes (like the earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan; tornadoes in the midwest and southeast in the US; and the ongoing floods in many parts of the USA) be prepared with basic emergency supplies:
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
- For more information Go to the Ready.gov website-Click HERE
In the case of an emergency - DIAL 911
When dialing 911 from a WSU campus number, there will be a 7 second delay in connecting. WAIT! DO NOT HANG UP!
Dialing 911 gives you access to: POLICE, FIRE, MEDICAL AID, RESCUE, & POISON CONTROL
When NOT to call 9-1-1
- Never call 911 as a joke!
- Never dial 911 for information such as road, weather or traffic conditions.
- Never call for information on power outages or directions either.
Register now for alert messages from the
Crisis Communication System!
If you have not registered for the WSU Crisis Communication System, do so now by going to the zzusis portal. Enter your network ID and password and you'll be taken to the zzusis main webpage. Look for the Emergency Information portlet on the page and click on the link in the statement "Please remember to update your emergency contact information in the zzusis portal" to be taken to the registration page where you can enter your cell,landline and email contact information. If you have laready registered, be sure to check your information and update it with any new phone numbers or email addresses as needed.
BOOKMARK THE WSU ALERT PAGE AND CHECK IT REGULARLY-CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE WSU ALERT WEB SITE!